What can I do to help our planet?
Earth Day 2023
On Saturday, April 22nd, celebrate Earth Day with us by learning what you can do to help our planet, starting right here in Northeast Ohio.
Here are 3 actions you can take to keep our planet healthy:
Holden Forests & Gardens commitment to Mother Earth
Our vision for the immediate future is to see all communities transformed into vibrant places where trees, plants, and people thrive. Our initiatives such as People for Trees and Great Lakes Basin Forest Health Collaborative exemplify our commitment towards a healthier environment.
Our workforce programs such as Green Corps and Tree Corps, educate and prepare the younger generation for careers in green industries.
Our teams of researchers and scientists actively study and publish new information regarding forested land management, physiology of trees, climate change impact on plant communities, and acid precipitation. To browse all of the research initiatives we are working on, visit our research projects page.
Take a Class!
Get Involved on a Global Scale
Each year, the non-profit, EarthDay.org, creates a theme and focus. The official theme for Earth Day 2023 is “Invest in our Planet“
Six topics are the focus of this year’s theme.
- Climate Literacy – Climate and environmental literacy, coupled with strong civic education, will create jobs, build a green consumer market and allow citizens to engage with their governments in a meaningful way to address the climate crisis.
- End Plastic Pollution – Changing human attitudes about and behavior toward plastics and reducing plastic pollution.
- Plant Trees – Planting billions of trees across the world is one of the biggest and cheapest ways of taking CO2 out of the atmosphere to tackle the climate crisis.
- Voting – Using your voting power to protect the environment.
- Global Cleanup – Clean up our communities, beaches, rivers, lakes, trail, and parks.
- Sustainable Fashion – Rethink our use of resources in the fashion industry. Fight fast fashion.