Orchids Forever: Golden Hour opens January 27
(CLEVELAND) – Be amazed by orchids at every turn at the Cleveland Botanical Garden’s annual flower show, Orchids Forever: Golden Hour. Opening on Saturday, January 27 and running through Sunday, March 17, immerse yourself in the striking hues of sunrise and sunset to wipe away the winter blues at Orchids Forever: Golden Hour.
Tickets are on sale now. Purchase tickets in advance at holdenfg.org.
This year’s show will highlight the serene feeling of sunrise and sunset. Species like Phalaenopsis, Dendrobium, and Oncidium come in hues of pink, purple, orange, and yellow—the sky’s color palette. Guests will be surrounded by orchids located throughout the indoor gardens and glasshouses, a dreamscape for flower lovers, and endless photo opportunities for all.
“The orchid is one of the earth’s most captivating flowers with petals arranged looking almost face-like. Orchids continue to mystify and fascinate as these delicate plants grow in some of the earth’s most challenging conditions – truly awe-inspiring,” said Caroline Tait, Vice President of Horticulture and Collections. “Being near these beauties of nature and taking time to look closely promotes a sense of calm as the fast pace of life melts away and we become mesmerized. It’s a blooming good example of why nature is so wonderful for our mental and physical health.”
Showcasing over 100 different types of orchids, Orchids Forever: Golden Hour will display more than 3,000 flowers from exotic blooms to well-known varieties.
- The Ellipse (Main Lobby) will transport visitors into the warmth of a tropical sunset with an array of vibrant orchids. Kokedamas of flowers and moss will hang from the ceiling leading to a picturesque gazebo surrounded by mossy rock forms laden with orchids.
- The Glasshouses will have dozens of artistic horticultural vignettes with orchids high and low, no matter where you look.
- Eppig Gallery will feature a wooded sunrise mural with orchids popping up from the forest floor. Get the refreshing feeling of an early morning walk at any time of the day!
- Japanese Overlook will spotlight rare orchids with draped fabrics to enhance the elegance of each plant.
- Special Art Spotlight – Orchids: Minimalist or Maximalist by Maria Wiltmer-Rich. Witmer-Rich resides in Bainbridge and has been exhibiting watercolor paintings regionally. A Spectrum of Color by Gunter Schwegler will also grace the walls of Orchids Forever: Golden Hour. Schwegler lives in Cleveland Heights and is a fiber artist specializing in silk painting.
Learn and Grow with Classes About Orchids & More
- Virtual Ask the Orchid Doctor: (2 sessions) Join us on Saturday, February 3 and Saturday, March 2 from 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. for a FREE virtual class on orchid care. Horticulturist Dawn Gerlica will help answer your questions and talk about best practices for growing orchids. Classes take place on Zoom, so you can even show your plant from home! Ask an Orchid Doctor Registration
- Orchid Repotting for Beginners: On Saturday, February 17 from 10:30 a.m.- 12 p.m. and Friday, March 1 from 12:30 p.m.-2:00 p.m., learn how to repot your beautiful orchids. This class will cover the basics of repotting orchids, focusing on Phalaenopsis. We’ll start with some orchid basics and learn repotting techniques. All participants will repot a Phalaenopsis and take home their freshly potted plant. Price: $25 per member, $40 per non-member. Orchid Repotting Registration.
- Foodies and Flowers (Cooking Class): Save the date: Saturday, February 17 from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. to put your cooking skills to the test! Join us for a curated culinary class led by chef/instructor LaDonna Oltmans, from Let’s Cook, Plant Based Cooking. Class registration will include all necessary items for completion of a delicious meal. Come early or stay late and enjoy Orchids Forever: Golden Hour. Please check holdenfg.org for registration information.
- Behind-the-Scenes Orchid Photography: Join us Sunday, February 18 from 8:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m. for a photography workshop to capture the Orchids Forever: Golden Hour exhibit up close! With bizarre shapes and fascinating colors, orchids offer botanical dreamscapes for photography. Photographer Debbie DiCarlo will host a workshop that includes the opportunity to get up close and personal with plants. Following a brief session with tips and tricks, participants will have the chance to explore the Orchids Forever: Golden Hour exhibit with tripods before the doors open to the public. Price: $80 per member, $120 per non-member. Behind the Scenes Orchids Photography Registration.
- Hand-Painting on Silk: On Saturday, March 9 from 9:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. learn from the artist what it takes to create silk pieces like those seen on display! Join Gunter Schwegler to learn techniques for hand-painting on silk. Participants will use water-based dyes that flow like watercolor to create two painted silks, while learning brush control, color mixing, shading, and a bit of history. Supplies will be provided, and all levels of experience are welcome. Price: $60 per member, $100 per non-member. Hand-Painting on Silk Registration.
In the Eleanor Squire Library: Visit the garden library to peruse books about orchids and more, for children and adults. The library is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. and Sundays from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Schedule permitting, please check holdenfg.org for updates.
In the Garden Store: Orchids, including some exotic varieties, will be available for purchase at the Garden Store along with soil, fertilizer, and pots specifically for orchids. Take home a beautiful orchid to enjoy just about forever! Silk paintings, scarves and other accessories by Gunter Schwegler are also available for purchase.
Orchids Forever: Golden Hour hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.– 8:30 p.m., and Sundays Noon – 5 p.m. The Botanical Garden will be closed on Mondays except for Monday, February 19th, President’s Day, when we are open from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Please note hours are subject to change, check holdenfg.org for updated information.
Orchids Forever: Golden Hour admission is $20 per adult and $14 per child ages three to 12 (free for children two and under). Admission is free for Holden Forests & Gardens members. The Botanical Garden is at 11030 East Blvd., Cleveland, Ohio. Indoor parking is available for a fee based on availability. For complete details about Orchids Forever, visit holdenfg.org.
About Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Forests & Gardens
Cleveland Botanical Garden, located in Cleveland’s University Circle cultural district, is an ever-changing 10-acre urban oasis where visitors find enrichment and inspiration through fabulous gardens, an exotic Glasshouse, and seasonal events. The Cleveland Botanical Garden is part of Holden Forests & Gardens along with the Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio. Holden Forests & Gardens is making an impact in Northeast Ohio through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at its two campuses. For more information, visit holdenfg.org.