The 17th Annual Flower Show opens on January 28th
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Margaret Cook at firstname.lastname@example.org or (216) 712-2929
(CLEVELAND) January 5, 2023– Be amazed by orchids at every turn at the Cleveland Botanical Garden’s annual flower show, Orchids Forever! Opening on Saturday, January 28th, and running through Sunday, March 12th, escape to a tropical paradise and bring stunning colors into your life with Orchids Forever.
Tickets are on sale now. Purchase tickets in advance at holdenfg.org.
This year’s show will highlight the vibrant colors and uniqueness of orchids. Species like Phalaenopsis, Dendrobium, and Cymbidium come in hues of pink, white, purple, orange, and yellow—nature’s color palette. Guests will be presented with remarkable visuals of orchids and neon-colored lights throughout the indoor garden and rainforest biomes, a dreamscape for flower lovers, and endless photo opportunities for all.
“The orchid is perhaps the most stunning flower on Earth – maybe more so as each one seems to be looking back at us. The orchid is equal parts mystifying, awe-inspiring and delicate, yet growing in some of the earth’s most challenging conditions,” said Caroline Tait, vice President of Horticulture and Collections. “Being in the presence of nature’s beauties and looking closely promotes a sense of calm and the fast pace of life melts away. It’s a crowning example of why nature is so wonderful for our mental health. In this year’s show, we celebrate the cultivated orchid’s beauty: vibrant colors, intricate patterns, and distinctive forms.”
Showcasing over 100 different types of orchids, Orchids Forever will display more than 3,000 flowers from all over the world.
- The Ellipse (Main Lobby) will transport visitors into the colorful world of orchids with 4 neon-lit selfie-worthy displays surrounding a center bed of orchids varying in elevation in shades of yellow, pink, salmon, and purple.
- The Glasshouse will have stunning horticultural vignettes with orchids from every angle! High and low, no matter where you look, there will be a unique flower to admire.
- Eppig Gallery will feature large-scale photo scans of orchids and beautiful vignettes showing off the details of rare orchids and their variety of colors.
Orchids conquered every environment on earth apart from the dry deserts and Antarctica and are the largest and most diverse of the flowering plant family. This year, Orchids Forever will bring thousands of these exotic and elegant tropical flowers to the Cleveland Botanical Garden. Each type of orchid has its own personality shown through its rare coloration and striking form.
One of the most important things we can do to help conserve orchids is to learn more about these incredible flowers so we can better understand their needs.
Learn and Grow with Classes All About Orchids
- Virtual Ask the Orchid Doctor: (2 sessions) Join us on Saturday, February 11th and 25th from 10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m. for a FREE virtual information session on orchid care. Horticulturist Dawn Gerlica will help answer your questions and talk about best practices for growing orchids. Classes take place on Zoom, so you can even show your plant from home. Ask the Orchid Doctor Registration
- Behind the Scenes Orchid Photography: On Sunday, February 5th from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., join us for a workshop that includes a special opportunity to get up close and personal with these plants. Following a brief session with tips and tricks, participants will have a chance to explore the Orchids Forever exhibit with tripods before the doors open to the public. Price: $80 per member, $120 per non-member. Behind the Scenes Orchid Photography Registration
- Orchid Repotting for Beginners: On Sunday, February 12th from 11 a.m.- 12 p.m., learn how to repot your beautiful orchids. This class will cover the basics of repotting orchids, focusing on phalaenopsis. We’ll start with some orchid basics and learn the nuts and bolts of repotting. Then we’ll practice what we’ve learned! All participants will repot a phalaenopsis and take home their freshly potted plant. Price: $25 per member, $40 per non-member. Orchid Repotting for Beginners Registration
- Painting Orchids in Watercolor: Join us on Saturday, February 18th from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. to create your own watercolor painting, inspired by Orchids Forever! Participants will learn basic watercolor techniques, the tools of the trade, and some fun orchid facts as we stretch our creative wings. Not only will you leave with one-of-a-kind art for your wall, but you will gain a greater appreciation for these amazing plants. All art materials will be provided. Price: $45 per member, $60 per non-member. Painting Orchids in Watercolor Registration
Events & More
Greater Cleveland Orchid Society Orchid Show: On Saturday, and Sunday, February 4th and 5th, join us at the Cleveland Botanical Garden for the annual Greater Cleveland Orchid Society Orchid Show and Sale.
Winter Warmup: Save the date: Saturday, February 18th for a fun evening event to warm up from the cold! Listen to live music from a harpsichord, tempt your tastebuds with a hot toddy selection and take in the tropics with our dynamic display of orchids. You’ll be warm in no time. Go to holdenfg.org for more information.
In the Eleanor Squire Library: Visit the garden library to peruse books about orchids and more, for children and adults. The library is open Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays from 1-4 p.m. and Sundays from 10-4 p.m. Schedule permitting, please check holdenfg.org for updates.
In the Garden Store: Orchids, including some exotic varieties, will be available for purchase at the Garden Store along with soil, fertilizer, and pots specifically for orchids. Take home a beautiful orchid to enjoy (virtually) forever!
Orchids Forever hours are Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., Saturdays 10 a.m.– 8 p.m., and Sundays Noon – 5 p.m. The Botanical Garden will be closed on Mondays except for Monday, February 20th,when the exhibit will be open from 10 a.m.- 5 p.m. Please note hours are subject to change, check holdenfg.org for updated information.
Orchids Forever admission is $20 per adult and $14 per child ages three to 12 (free for children two and under). Admission is free for Holden Forests & Gardens members. The Botanical Garden is at 11030 East Blvd., Cleveland, Ohio. Indoor parking is available for a fee based on availability. For complete details about Orchids Forever, visit holdenfg.org.
About Cleveland Botanical Garden and Holden Forests & Gardens
Cleveland Botanical Garden, located in Cleveland’s University Circle cultural district, is an ever-changing 10-acre urban oasis where visitors find enrichment and inspiration through fabulous gardens, an exotic Glasshouse, and seasonal events. The Cleveland Botanical Garden is part of Holden Forests & Gardens along with the Holden Arboretum in Kirtland, Ohio. Holden Forests & Gardens is making an impact in Northeast Ohio through urban greening and forestry initiatives, environmental research, educational programs, and world-class visitor experiences at its two campuses. For more information, visit holdenfg.org.